*MTV VIDEO MUSIC AWARDS*: Lady Gaga Rules the Night
Written by KingCnote on August 31, 2020
The MTV VMAs made the most of their New York City backdrop Sunday night, with performances from iconic locations all over the Big Apple. Other remote performances made the most of green screen and graphics to make it look as if they were in N.Y.C., with many pre-taped.
Other than that, Lady Gaga’s dominance was the story of the night, as she came out five different times to receive award after award, rocking a unique outfit complete with mask each time, and she also performed with Ariana Grande.
The evening kicked off with host Keke Palmer denouncing police brutality and dedicating the show to Chadwick Boseman.
Other highlights included:
- The Weeknd performed “Blinding Lights” 1,000 feet above Manhattan complete with a light show and fireworks display, as well as makeup that made it look like he’d been beat up.
- DaBaby performed “Rockstar” with the Jabbawockeez.
- Miley Cyrus served up throwback vibes with “Midnight Sky.”
- BTS performed “Dynamite.”
- Lady Gaga and Ariana Grande performed “Rain on Me” and later, Gaga sat down at a piano that looked like a giant brain to perform “Stupid Love.”
- Doja Cat introduced a space-themed performance of “Say So” and “Like That” with a spoof MTV News segment. All her dancers wore masks, as did some of the dancers that accompanied other performances.
List of Winners:
- Best Collaboration: Lady Gaga with Ariana Grande “Rain On Me”
- Best Direction: Taylor Swift “The Man”
- Best Latin: Maluma and J Balvin
- Song of the Year: Lady Gaga with Ariana Grande “Rain on Me”
- Best Music Video From Home: Ariana Grande and Justin Bieber “Stuck With You”
- Best Pop: BTS “On”
- Best R&B: The Weeknd “Blinding Lights”
- Artist of the Year: Lady Gaga
- Video for Good: H.E.R. = “I Can’t Breathe”
- Tricon Award: Lady Gaga
- Best Hip Hop: Megan Thee Stallion “Savage”
- Push Artist of the Year: Doja Cat
- Best Cinematography, Best K-Pop, Best Group: BTS
- Best Visual Effects: Dua Lipa “Physical”
- Best Cinematography: Lady Gaga with Ariana Grande “Rain on Me”
- Best Rock: Coldplay – “Orphans”
- Best Art Direction & Editing: Miley Cyrus – “Mother Daughter”
- Best Alternative: Machine Gun Kelly
- Best Quarantine Performance: CNCO “MTV Unplugged”
- Video of the Year: The Weeknd – “Blinding Lights”