Meghan Markle ‘pitching documentary about Black Lives Matter founder’ Patrisse Cullotrs | Daily Mail Online
Written by KingCnote on September 15, 2020
Patrisse Cullors, one of the three individuals who founded the BLM movement, would be the target of the documentary that the Duchess of Sussex wants to produce, according to The Mirror.
Cullors is said to have ‘hugely inspired’ Meghan, and she pitched the documentary to Netflix because she has been ‘blown away by the incredible work Patrisse has done.
‘She thinks her story needs to be told – and she would love to be the one to make it,’ a source told the newspaper.
Should the documentary be given the green light by Netflix, it would be part of a deal with the streaming giant said to be worth upwards of $100 million, signed by The Duke and Duchess of Sussex Meghan, 39, and husband Prince Harry, 35.
The documentary about Black Lives Matter founder Patrisse Cullors would be part of the deal Harry and Meghan (pictured) signed with Netflix – thought to be worth over $100 million
Los Angeles-born Patrisse, 36, founded Black Lives Matter in 2013 with Alicia Garza and Opal Tometi, after they were driven into action following the acquittal of George Zimmerman, who was accused of killing Trayvon Martin in Florida in 2012.
The movement began with the simple #BlackLivesMatter hashtag, but grew into what is seen today – with people protesting in the streets against racial inequality.
A Facebook post by Alicia Garza called ‘A Love Letter to Black People’ – published following Zimmerman’s acquittal – first used the phrase. The post was then shared with the hashtag, leading to the movement.
Organizers say the movement’s goal is to ‘eradicate white supremacy and build local power to intervene in violence inflicted on Black communities.’
In a statement announcing the deal that will see them making movies, shows and kid’s programs, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex said: ‘Our focus will be on creating content that informs but also gives hope.
‘As new parents, making inspirational family programming is also important to us,’ adding that Netflix’s ‘unprecedented reach will help us share impactful content that unlocks action.’
Black Lives Matter co-founder Patrisse Cullors speaks at the campaign rally for Democratic presidential candidate Senator Bernie Sanders in Los Angeles in 2020. Now, Meghan Markle has reportedly pitched the idea of a documentary about Cullors to Netflix
Los Angeles-born Patrisse, 36, founded Black Lives Matter in 2013 with Alicia Garza and Opal Tometi, after they were driven into action following the acquittal of George Zimmerman, who was accused of killing Trayvon Martin in Florida in 2012. Pictured: Black Lives Matter demonstrators march along Key Bridge in Washington D.C. on Saturday
But the couple have come under fire from commentators for the deal. Piers Morgan hit out at the Sussexes, saying they were greedy for keeping their titles.
‘It’s great they’ve paid back the Frogmore money, it’s great they’re not taking any more of Charles’s money, but they’ve kept the titles – and if you really want to find freedom, and you really want to divorce the country, why would you keep the titles ‘Duke and Duchess of Sussex’?’ he said.
‘The only reason Netflix is paying them all this money is because of their royal titles – you think Meghan Markle would have got £1.50 out of them without it?’ he added.
Harry and Meghan now live in a $14.7 million home in Los Angeles. The Netflix deal will help them pay for their new home and for their security costs, said to be over $5 million a year
Harry and Meghan follow President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama, who announced in 2018 they had entered a multi-year producing partnership with the online streaming service.
In January, the couple announced that they would be stepping back as senior members of the British Royal Family, and now, eight months later, live in a $14.7 million estate near Los Angeles.
It was learned last week that Prince Charles had cut off his private funding support for Harry and Meghan after they secured the Netflix deal and paid back £2.4million ($3 million) for Frogmore Cottage – their UK residence.
Last year’s royal accounts showed the cost of the renovations at the Frogmore cottage – paid for from taxpayers’ money – was £2.4 million ($3 million). Following the Netflix deal, Harry and Meghan were able to pay the cost to the taxpayer off in full
In a move which has surprised royal sources, Harry and Meghan reimbursed taxpayers in full amount used to renovate their Windsor home – in a dramatic escalation of their ‘divorce’ from the Royal Family.
The couple – who had been paying back the cash in monthly instalments – announced that they had totally refunded the Sovereign Grant for the redevelopment of five-bedroom Frogmore Cottage on the Queen’s Berkshire estate.
The couple are ‘relieved and pleased’ to pay off renovation costs, a source claimed.
This content was originally published here.